Sunday, November 1, 2009

Fr.Miguel Pro S.J, martyr


Last Sunday a priest gave a homily on martyrdom while another priest-friend sent me material on martyrdom. He wrote about the value of martyrdom and how important it was for one to keep the goal of heaven in  mind.


The homily mentioned the Mexican Cristeros Movement which fought against an anti Catholic government, defending their values even with arms.

I recalled the priest with his arms extended like on a cross. His name is Father Miguel Pro , S.J., He shouted Viva Cristo Rey (Long Live Christ the King) just before he was shot. The executioners made him an example and inspiration for all of us.

I often walk across the Palatine ground in Rome. I pray with Our Lady and the martyrs. It’s a reminder to  not get to comfortable in Rome.


Some ten years back I worked as a volunteer for about three months in a Mother Teresa’s Home. Sister Clemincina was in charge of the Section where I was working. One day Sr. Clemencina M.C comes to me with a frightening look saying, ‘Brother! Last night I had a terrible dream! I dreamt you were being burnt to death…’

Sr.Clemencina made her Final Vows a few years back in Rome at the Church of Santa Croce. It was a coincidence I happened to be there.

No comments: